Background

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Turning 50

Well, today is my birthday, no big deal. I don't feel any different, except that I have a cold today. Don't feel too good, oh well.
Actually the thing that made this not so bad is that I have been dieting (Jenny Craig) and going to the gym nearly every weekday since March 27. I have been gaining weight steadily for years and complaining about it, but doing nothing. In January, my goal was 50 (lbs) less by 50 (age). I even wrote a sticky note and put it on the fridge. I still didn't do anything. But I did think about it all the time. I was frustrated with myself all the time, trying to hide it with clothes. I think the thing that finally did it was my size 12 clothes were so tight I really needed to go up a size, again! Yulk. I was like my mom, my different sizes of clothes. My co-worker, Dawn, had told me how good the food is at Jenny Craig. I already had a membership at the gym but I was so sporadic about going. I would spend the whole day coming up with reasons not to go at night, like got to go shopping, get gas, do laundry, etc, etc.
I had thought about going early but I just didn't think I had the time since I have long hair and it takes so much time to wash, dry, and style it. I even considered cutting my hair, but I found when my hair was short it was more effort to style it.
I don't know but one day I just made the decision to do it. I didn't ask Scott permission to spend the money. I just needed to do something!!
So I called and made an appointment for that day after work at JC and decided I would get up and go to the gym every morning at 5. I went to JC. Their program is really great. I liked how that when you get halfway to your goal they start weaning you from their food to making your own meals. They emphasize veggies, fruit, eating a well balanced meal, and learning to limit your portions. And I do like their food too.
So I started the next day and have been at it since then. July has been the only month that I have slacked off and stagnated a little but I have lost over 33lbs!
So I didn't reach my 50 less by 50 but Wow I feel SO much better. I notice how much easier it is to get out of bed without my big stomach. I can cross my legs again, silly but great.
I went shopping this past week for pants (which I swore I wouldn't do until I reached my goal, but I couldn't find any size 8's in my shed). It was the first time in YEARS that I enjoyed shopping for clothes. That makes it all worthwhile!!!!! I am not where I want to be but I felt great. I even bought a pair of stretch 6 pants that are a bit tight but still fit. Amazing.
I feel healthier. I have fruit around all the time. I'm rarely hungry. And I am committed to not going back.
I found that it takes mostly a mental commitment to do this, more than anything.
I'm not trying to boast or make anyone feel bad. I feel much more empathetic to people overweight than I used to. I just wanted to share my success. It makes turning 5o not so bad. I only wish I could afford to get rid of some of the wrinkles.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Congrats!!!! You were looking great when we saw you! And Happy 50!