Background

Monday, September 1, 2008

I survived Sacrament meeting with 2 children!!!


Well, I didn't get a very good night's sleep obviously. RJ and I laid in bed awhile and then he got up and played on the computer while I laid there awhile. I got up to take my shower before Savannah got up though. Then I put her and RJ in the bath while I got ready. I had used the hot water, shame on me, so I had to heat up several pitchers of water. Jen's hot water pot came in real handy. I was able to put Savannah's hair in pig tails the other day but today they gave me fits. I must have spent nearly half an hour and in the end the part was still WAY off center. I never had girls. This is a new experience for me. They were crooked but cute all the same. I was hot and sweaty by the end. Should have taken my shower later! I gave the kids a choice in what to wear to church. RJ chose the grey pants and blue shirt. Of course Savannah wanted the pink dress. I do really like her periwinkle dress too. We had lunch before dressing of course. I honestly thought about skipping sacrament because I was so tired from lack of sleep but I know that's where I'm supposed to be and the kids need to go regularly to learn how to act. So off we went.
RJ walked right in and sat in the 3rd pew from the back. I'm sure that the elderly women on the other end of the row weren't too happy. RJ had the fun of the row. It would have been better to have him hemmed in a little more. He complained he was tired the minute we got there. (I know how you felt RJ!). So he was lying on the pew and under the pew. I tried to keep him near me and parallel with the pew but that was hard. I actually had Savannah on my lap the whole time. I was hoping I could rock her to sleep. Nope. She didn't actually try to get down until the last 10 minutes of church. I had to take her out at the end of the sacrament cuz she got loud, which was odd because she did great with the water, it was the bread that she wanted more of. It must have been at the end of sacrament the sister sitting alone right in front of us had moved. I guess she was annoyed. Oh well. It really makes you look at things differently when you have squirmy children. The meeting ran over and the closing prayer WAS really long just as RJ said in a normal tone of voice! Cute. He was right. I am not sure how but I SURVIVED SACRAMENT! I figure that is the hardest part of the whole week.
So off to nursery we went. Savannah went right in and waved goodbye. RJ went to his class and I talked to Wendy, Jennifer's visiting teacher. She noticed I survived sacrament. She was very nice and showed me the way to Sunday School. Two people introduced themselves. It was a nice lesson on the plan of salvation but it was extremely warm in the room. After I went to observe Sharing Time in Primary. It probably wasn't the best idea because twice RJ came back to me. I had to talk to him to get him to go back to his class. The highlight of Primary was the kids got to pop a balloon in singing time. They thought that was great. Primary ran over too so it was 5 after when I got Savannah out of nursery. (I did get pulled out of SS to change her)
The last half hour of Primary the older boys in front of me were totally distracted by the storm brewing outside. It was pouring when we went out to the car. I got disoriented and turned the wrong way (I always have a bad sense of direction.) I ended up on the highway. It was hard to find a way to turn around because the speed limit was 65 and it was raining so hard. I had to go a couple miles before I turned around. I was scared I wouldn't be able to find the right street to turn back onto but I did thankfully. The kids were already sound asleep at that point. RJ was out cold. I put Savannah in her bed and RJ on mine.
A few minutes later I realized I hadn't turned on my phone. Of course with it being 9 hours later in Europe it was late for Jared and Jen. They had just called so I called them back. They said I needed to get RJ up right away. I tried unsuccessfully. It reminded me of Jared when he was small. I really tried but he was out. Savannah woke up a half hour later so I put her on the bed to wake RJ up. She pushed and pulled and pulled until he did wake up. He was upset at first but she got him laughing. It was really cute to see them together.
We had dinner and I decided on a nice quiet evening so we watched The Incredibles which I had never seen. That was nice. We just all sat together and had a relaxing time.
We did our normal bedtime stuff and I watched part of the movie Harvey after talking to Scott on the phone as I have every night.

No comments: