Background

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday at the Eastern Idaho State Fair












Wow, what a long day. RJ was up early and I for some stupid reason couldn't sleep very well last night. But I was surprised that I didn't get tired or frustrated today.
Savannah slept in which was good since I figured she wouldn't get a nap since we were headed to the fair. It was cloudy at 7:30 so I was a bit concerned. I checked the weather for Blackfoot. It said it would get to 70 but I still wasn't sure how to dress for the morning. But by the time we took baths and had breakfast and got all packed it was nearly 11 when we left or was that the time we got there. I'm not sure. The GPS was great and I had used the map of the fair on their website. It took me to the back parking lot by the petting zoo which was perfect, saved us a ton of walking! We went in the petting zoo first. The kids loved the goats especially the tiny baby ones. They had donkeys, llamas, rabbits, chickens, and puppies. It's not quite like a normal petting zoo where you actually mingle with the animals. You get to pet and feed them through the fence. It only cost $5 to get in and they had several things for kids that were free which gave us plenty to do for a long time. The science area had shells, magnets, Kinex building blocks, snakes, tree frogs, lizards, and a fun giant bubble maker. We ended up back there at the end of the day to watch a half hour science show.
Next to that was a play area which had bowling, basketball (RJ actually got a basket too!), a sand box with lots of shovels and funnels and other toys. They had spinning boxes that hold paper to use markers on. Savannah was covered in magic marker. They also had a ring toss, bean bag toss and ball toss into a face. They also had giant wood blocks, plastic blocks, and PVC pipe pieces to build with. There was also a chalk board, but the favorite thing of all was a bicycle that was connected to a fan that faced up to the sky. Covering the fan was a grate. On the sides were several bubble bottles and many wands. You would put the wands on top of the grate with bubble solution and then when the person on the bike would pedal the fan would turn causing the wind to make many bubbles. They loved it. We spent forever in there and it was all free.
Then we went down through the tunnel to the carnival side. Of course this side was more expensive. I bought $20 of tickets which only gave RJ 4 rides I think and Savannah 2. She was too small to go on most of them and I couldn't go on all of them. That was the only time besides sitting at the end of the science show that she got upset. I let them both play 2 games that had a prize for sure. They got to pick a ducky out of the pond. RJ got 2 and Savannah got 1 because you got 3 picks for $5. RJ got a small and large toy so he ended up with 2 mediums instead and Savannah got one too. Then we played the fishing game. You had to snag a frog when it opened it's mouth. We got our moneys worth there cuz it took Savannah and I several minutes to manage to snag one. RJ was really quick though, much better than Grandma.
Then we had a thoroughly nutritious lunch, yeah right, this was a carnival! Ok, Grandma forgot to pack the PBJs, but we did have grapes and granola bars. So for lunch we had corn dogs on a stick. Then RJ wanted popcorn so we walked down the food area and lo and behold we found FREE popcorn at the stand that was trying to sell newspaper subscriptions. That was cool! So they each got their own little bag half full which was great.
Then we headed back over to the kids side and played in the play area again until it was almost time for the science show. I was absolutely amazed at how well both of them did today. Savannah was a bit tired of sitting at the show but she was fine when I pulled out the goldfish to eat. Then we headed back to the van, which was so close, how nice. Of course I forgot to stop at the bathroom and as soon as we got in the car RJ had to go, so did I. So on the way out of town we stopped at the Maverick store.
Then we headed to the Mall on the way home. Thank-you for the GPS and the DVD player. How wonderful. And having the movie helped RJ stay awake, so did Savannah. So we picked up the adorable pictures of Savannah and then went to the play area in the mall. I couldn't believe they still had energy but we spent quite awhile there. I wish they had had such great free things when my kids were little. It was getting on to 7pm already! Wow, so we had to get home and to bed so RJ can get up for school.
We stopped at Arbys and took home some dinner. I got the kids chicken nuggets, which I am sick of and I got a roast beef sandwich. We took it home so we could have something nutritious with it, cottage cheese. It turned out they ate the cottage cheese and hardly any chicken but they had just finished off the grapes on the way home from Arby's.
We had books, scriptures (we finished Alma 14), and prayer, brushed our teeth and off to bed. Poor RJ started complaining at dinner that his knees hurt from all the walking. Still they were so good today. I never planned to be there so long.
We had a great day.

1 comment:

Jared said...

You're a trooper! I would have never attempted so many things in one day with the kids!